Naijamerit
Welcome to Naijamerit
Local & Foreign News, Events, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Politics ...we have enough news for you.
Welcome to Naijamerit
Local & Foreign News
Events, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Politics
...we have enough news for you.

FG boosts power generation by 2,000mw in 2 years — Minister

FG boosts power generation by 2,000mw in 2 years — Minister

Published on: April 3, 2025

Content:

The Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu has said that the federal government has dispensed N12.7 billion to offer meters in army barracks across the country.

By Victor Ahiuma-Young

ABUJA-Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, said yesterday it took Nigeria nearly 40 years to increase its power generation from 2,000 megawatts in 1984 to 4,000MW by 2022.

Adelabu, who disclosed this when he received members of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, NSE, led by the President, Margaret Oguntala, on a courtesy visit to his office in Abuja, said this feat had been achieved in less than two years of the present administration.

According to him, the country has experienced a remarkable surge in power generation to an impressive 6003 megawatts by the present government.

A statement by the spokesman for the Minister of Power, Bolaji Tunji, yesterday, said the discussion further centred on strategic partnerships, mentorship opportunities, and the crucial role of NSE in providing technical advisory support to the ministry on power-related issues.

The minister said Nigeria should have moved past the engineering-related challenges, particularly in the power sector, given the number of engineers the country has produced.

While reviewing the activities of the government since the present administration took over, the minister acknowledged that while the country was not yet where it should be, the progress demonstrated that President Bola Tinubu’s administration was committed to revitalising the power sector.

The minister said: “In 1984, the country generated 2000MW of electricity and this was not increased to 4000MW until about 40 years later, around 2022 or so.

“We are about two years now, but we have been able to increase it to 6000 megawatts and this can be attributed to the efforts of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the realisation of the importance of the sector as a major factor to galvanise the economy.’’

He urged the society to take training seriously, encourage, and serve as role model for the younger generation, inspiring them to show greater interest in the profession.

Adelabu stressed the need for collaboration and a stronger working relationship between the Nigerian Society of Engineers and the federal ministry of power, especially in addressing challenges facing the power sector, assuring of his willingness to collaborate closely with the NSE in tackling some of the challenges in the power sector.

“Let me thank you and your executive members for your visit to me and to the power ministry. There is no way to separate the Power Ministry from the NSE because most of our works here are engineering-related, so there is a natural relationship between us.

‘’But the issue is that, has this relationship crystallised into mutual benefits? Has the ministry benefitted from the competence of the NSE members to impact the power infrastructure in the country in the supply of stable, functional, and reliable power?

“I want to challenge the body to let your activities impact the efficiency of the critical infrastructure of the ministry. In this, you must be seen to have lived up to your responsibility. We have so many engineers in Nigeria, yet our power infrastructure is still like this.

‘’NSE was established in 1958, that is about 67 years ago and yet we are still having grid collapse, so what are our engineers doing? Should it be like this? The answer is definitely, no,’’ he said.

Adelabu also emphasised the importance of manpower development and training and enjoined the NSE to take it seriously.

He advised the NSE to focus on the challenges facing infrastructure development, saying such efforts to develop the country were the way to show patriotism and nationalism.

He added: “It is a slight on us if we cannot address these challenges, so I am calling on your society to let us work together in addressing Nigeria’s problems, using your expertise. The ministry does not give jobs out without such a company being a member of your society.

‘’We are not like any other ministry or government agency, the power sector is unique. So, on our part, we are fulfilling our obligations to you, but you have not reciprocated this to us.

“I also want the NSE to take the issue of training very seriously. The profession needs constant training and retraining. We have a very vibrant training institute, the National Power Training Institute, that you can partner with in this aspect of training.

“Unfortunately, the issue of training has been relegated to the background. The last crop of our engineers that were trained were those from the old National Electric Power Authority. We must go back to that era of rigorous training of our engineers.’’

In her remarks, the NSE president, Margaret Oguntala, promised that the body would take up the challenge by the minister.

She assured of NSE’s commitment to contributing technical expertise toward improving Nigeria’s power sector, fostering innovation and enhancing capacity development within the industry.

The post FG boosts power generation by 2,000mw in 2 years — Minister appeared first on Vanguard News.

💬 From the brief information above what do you have to say? kindly comment below.
HTML Comment Box is loading comments...

Recent Posts